Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Unanswered Questions

A dear friend posed this question in response to my previous post:

"Does this mean that we are going to end up with our decapitated head on some unholy king's platter?"

What a real and valid question. The truth of the matter is, as humans (as Christians), even when we know that all things work together for good and we are assured of the glorification of God through our suffering, it is still in our nature to focus on loss.

I know that we're not alone in our persecution. I know we're not alone in our pain. God knows about this and He will be our Defender - even at the point of our execution. If I can remember that, everything else rolls off of me.

2 comments:

Robert N. Landrum said...

If the Lord himself cried out "why have you forsaken me?" it is no wonder that John did as well. I wonder if we are truly willing to go the distance of the many thousands of martyrs that have literally died for Christ. "All men agree in applauding paitence in suffering; few are willing to suffer"(a Kempis, Imitation).

Robert N. Landrum said...

Don't forget that not only are we to follow Christ even on pain of death, but it is a part of God's maturing us that we at times experience what the old divines called "desertion." Psalms 13:1,2