Monday, August 27, 2007

Change is Good

I know we've been MIA recently. The children started school this week and I wanted to give them my undivided attention as they made the transition. When I left my job in May, I committed to meeting the needs of my kids on a different level than I could when I was working. All four of them started new schools and I was a little anxious over how they would adjust. God knew I needed affirmation over our school decision. A few days before school started, we attended orientation so the kids could meet their teachers and classmates. As we were looking over the schedules, a woman tapped me on the shoulder and asked what school the children had formerly attended. When I told her, she broke into a wide smile and shared that her daughter had been in class with my boys at one point. She went on to share the wonderful experience school has been in the last few years for all of their children and how God had blessed them with Christian teachers. Its amazing how God meets our smallest needs. With a week under our belts, everyone is very happy and doing very well. I can't begin to tell you the difference this change has made in our household. Its as if we're all connected again, like we should have been all along.

We've also been attending a great new church. Robert and the boys went boating on the St John's River with the youth group Saturday.
After several hours of super soaker wars, manatee spotting, and swimming in the springs, they returned sunburned and full of stories.

What else has been happening? Oh! We added one more to our dinner party last week. A welcomed newcomer who I immediately felt at ease with, so much so that perhaps our new friend blended in a little too much. The friendship that Kim, Cindy, and I share is second nature. We don't have to think too hard about what the others need. We've made three road trips together and lived to tell about it. Our conversations are continuous and no amount of time apart causes us to miss a step. Its as if we've always been friends. So I wondered how adding one more would change our dynamic.

An hour past another amazing meal, swirling the trace amounts of wine left in our glasses, and regretting that Kim hadn't made more Creme Brulee, I realized that our chameleon friend sat in the midst of our laughter observing it all. And I felt very selfish for not making more of an effort to change the dynamic myself. This is my public apology for not stepping out of my comfort zone.

So change is not so bad. In fact, I think I'm starting to welcome it. It has brought such blessings upon our family in the last three months.

3 comments:

U said...

Well it's about time you get back to writing. Just in time for me to go to Mexico. Jeeezzzz..

Anonymous said...

I've missed you! Been praying and thinking about your family. Sounds like God is honoring the choices you and your family are making.

Kristen said...

pshhh lame. who did you see everyday for during that week...YEAH.. THINK ABOUT THAT..and not one word about us.. ppssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh