Saturday, May 12, 2007

It's Not Me, Its You

I was one of those girls that always had a steady, long term boyfriend in school. Those relationships were usually at the cost of something else in my life: family, friends, school, etc. Something always suffered because I tend to put everything into my main focus. But I remembered the phenomenon that occurred after breaking up with a boyfriend, suddenly things became clearer.

For the last couple of years I have been involved in a relationship that has magnified this shortcoming of mine. No, I'm not talking about my relationship with Robert. In fact, its his ability to see this shortcoming of mine that makes our relationship work. He reminds me of where I am unbalanced in my efforts. He encourages relationships with my friends and is unselfish in sharing me with family.

However, I'm in the process of exiting a bad relationship, and as I am refocusing my life I am amazed at what makes sense. Its been a great week; I have felt reconnected and revitalized in a way I haven't in quite some time. God has been gracious to show me who I can trust as I transition and what I need to do to prioritize my life once again. I realize now that for several months I have been grieving what could have been and not what actually is. That single revelation has brought me very far.

No comments: