Monday, May 14, 2007

Whatever Happened to the Movies?


Anybody remember drive-ins? Wait, let me rephrase that. Anybody remember drive-ins when you were a little kid? My brother and I lived for the weekend evenings when mom and dad would load up the station wagon with our sleeping bags, pillows, and snacks and head to our favorite California drive in. Cool nights with a speaker hanging from the driver's side window, Troy and I staking out our spots with the best view in the back, and fighting to stay awake through the entire movie were the stuff of childhood memories.


I remember seeing E.T. when I was a little kid. A cold dark theatre with the smell of stale popcorn and the promise of a new Spielberg film: a magical combination. Even though the theatre had sold out, people were sitting in the aisles to watch the show. Where has that anticipation gone? Apart from last summer's Pirates 2, nothing has made us spend full price to attend a movie premier in quite some time.


I have looked forward to the (hopeful) summer blockbusters like F4: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and Evan Almighty. So when Spiderman 3 opened to poor reviews from friends, I was a little nervous. Could the impending third Pirates film usher in a good summer movie season?

Perhaps I'm over thinking the good movie chemistry. Maybe what makes those moments is part atmosphere, a cold theatre on a hot summer day, and a movie with a great story line, one that you can take the kids to without worrying about what has to be censored. Let's hope this summer offers a handful of these moments.

7 comments:

Granny & Gramps said...

Leslie, this must be the time of night to post blogs. I was just on yours and you must have been blogging. You are a good writer. I enjoyed reading yours. Loved the trip comments in the car! Those need to go in Readers Digest.
Brenda

U said...

The problem with movies today is that they tend to follow formulas and they are so predictable. There is nothing out that is original. Brenda's right: you are a great writer. Are you an English teacher or something?

Kim said...

I have to defend Pirates for just a minute. It isn’t necessarily the script, costumes or cinematography that makes it such a great trilogy. Its success and attraction (no pun intended) is due solely to Johnny Depp. It is his strength as a character actor that brings life and excitement to the screen. It is for that thrill, that other worldliness that I gladly pay top dollar. (Not to mention the popcorn is great!)

Granny & Gramps said...

Leslie, have I been gone from OCS that long? Are you really an English teacher? This is a really frightening thought that I can't remember what you did while I was there. Maybe it's having 6 grandchildren? Or turning 50 this year? Or blonde? Nah, besides, blondes have more fun or we think we do. :)
Brenda

U said...

Kim: strength of character?? JD would only have to stand in front of the camera for an hour and a half and you ladies would be glued to the screen and forget your popcorn. Puuleeze..

Leslie said...

Alright, alright. I'll confess JD is a huge draw, but my children are as enthralled with the movie series as I have been. Kim's right; he makes Jack Sparrow believable even in his absurdity. Oh, and he's HOT. Kim, save me a seat!

Kim said...

Strength AS A character ACTOR - am I the only one who can read?! (JD IS the real reason to see Pirates.) L - didn't we have a conversation a few weeks ago about sharing? Do we have to share him too? Last time you had dibs.