Thursday, July 26, 2007

Its all in the details


Kim cooked dinner for Cindy and me last night. I was intrigued by the invitation because it meant a couple hours out of the house; time to forget my primary role of wife and mom. Just spending time with other intelligent, witty women who love and appreciate me. Who cares what she put on the table; I was there for the company. So when Kim served a five course meal, I was floored. She effortlessly glided from oven, to table, to fridge, chopping this, tossing that, and pouring wine while holding a conversation with the two of us. She truly has the gift of hospitality.
Sitting down over the meal, I wish I had brought my camera to chronicle each course like Kathy does when she is whipping up a culinary delight.
*Baked tomatoes with melted goat's cheese drizzled with Italian balsamic vinegar and garnished with basil.
*Spinach salad with sliced almonds, fresh blueberries, mandarin oranges and strawberries.
*Plump shrimp with delicately blanched asparagus spears and risotto sprinkled with shaved aged cheese.
*Sauteed chicken with roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts along side of roasted potatoes.
*Vanilla Bean ice cream on flour free oatmeal lace cookies in a blueberry puree topped with homemade whipped cream.

I assured her I would be back the following Wednesday, same time. We talked late into the night discussing the details of our next trip and the latest goings on in our lives, so much so that I couldn't get up to ride this morning. Oh, well. It was worth every minute.

8 comments:

U said...

Good friends are a gift from God.

Kim said...

My favorite part is that Cindy and I are "intelligent" and "witty" - there's the best compliment possible! (Thank you for the praise - it was great fun and I'll see you on Wednesday!)

Kristen said...

ahem...ahem..ahem... this line that i read that said "Just spending time with other intelligent, witty women who love and appreciate me. "...EXCUSE ME!? FOR THE PAST 4 DAYS BEFORE THAT YOU WHERE WITH ME! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY LESLIE?! IM NOT SMAARRTTTTT ENNOOUUGGHHH (hey, sasha says i bring entertainment!) AND NOT WIITTTYYY ENNOOUUGGH. pshhhhhh dont you dare come to me at my job at Charlotte Russe wantin a discont now! hahaha

Kristen said...

o yeahhhh..and like the comment you left on my blog :BOO TO DRINKING.. soo BOO TO YOU!!! lol

Anonymous said...

And what happens when those good friends go away - are they no longer a gift? Interesting comment U.

Anonymous said...

Ok no offense kristen but why would mrs. landrum want to buy clothes at charlotte russe?!?!
~sincerely, Jane

Kristen said...

..THATS NOT THE POINT JANE..hahahah... im out of comebacks now...

Anonymous said...

MUWHHHHHAAAAAA!! i win;)i just owned you (o-n-e)!!! lol but seriously.....i do!
~Sincerely, Jane