Saturday, July 14, 2007

A City Set on a Hill . . .


. . . is not easily reached by bike. When we reached "the hill" today, I reminded Sam that coming back would be much easier than going up. He stared straight ahead as he labored to pedal and replied, "I see you're assuming we're going to make it to the top." Where does he get that dry sense of humor???

I read somewhere that it takes 30 days of repeating an activity before it becomes a "habit". I don't know if that's true or not, but today is the one month mark since I started riding consistently. In that month, I've covered 195.9 miles on my bike. I wish I could say it has changed my life, but the fact is I've lived a non-exercising lifestyle for years. It will take a lot more than 30 days to impact my long term health. For now, I take things one day at a time and enjoy the little victories that come from accomplishing something new each day. (Read: Lycra biking shorts are not in my future.)

1 comment:

Roses in December said...

Leslie, I read it takes only 21 days before it becomes a "habit". So you are on your way to your second set of "21 days". I was just thinking today, I need to start walking, maybe I wouldn't cry so much then! 21 days to living a cry-free life - that could be my motto!
Brenda