Thursday, March 30, 2006

Ukraine Bound



I will hurry, without lingering, to obey your commands.
-Psalms 119:60

It's official. I have permission for the time off from work and I have confirmed my spot on the trip. The flight ticket is being purchased as I write. Part of me is giddy and part of me is terrified. I told the children for the first time as soon as I hung up the phone. Samuel had the biggest grin on his face and shouted to the others, "Mom's going to be a missionary! Mom's going to be a missionary!" I was so proud of him at that moment. He was so happy that I was going to minister to children on the other side of the world. He never once thought to protest and complain about my second international trip in a two month span. He was okay with sharing his mom. I have the best family in the world. They are truly selfless when it comes to the convenience of having me around. Of course, I'm probably not as necessary of a fixture as I think I am!
So I need to put together my itinerary at this point. The director is allowing me to choose where I want to go and what I want to do. The need is so great everywhere that there's really no priority areas. He spoke to me about orphanage #3 that houses infants up to four year olds. And then there's Orphanage #9 that is home to toddlers 3-6 years old. I can also visit the orphanages that are home to older orphans. How strange a decision this is. There are babies and toddlers that need to be held, rocked, changed, fed, played with. There are teenagers that need to hang out and connect. Where do I begin and how will I know how to reach their needs? I am sure I'm being too romantic about all of this. I will probably spend the week washing dishes or cleaning, and that would be okay too.