Saturday, March 03, 2007

More on Judging

I knew this would happen. I read Robert's post from last night and grew frustrated over the fact that he didn't tell what precipitated that reflection. So let me provide the context.

We were driving out of a parking lot last night when a young couple caught our eye. They were huddled in the shadow of a hedge just before an intersection. The man held a sign that read "Victim of fire, she is pregnant, please help." They looked pretty rough. I saw Robert look intently at them as we passed. "Make the block," he requested. "How much have you got on you?" I had a five dollar bill which Robert took as he searched the landscape for the couple again. I protested, "How do you know they're really in need? They could be scamming people." Robert informed me that it wasn't his job to sort out people's intentions. God has commanded us to meet the need of people who ask for help.

The light from the setting sun had cast heavier shadows upon the couple, as we pulled up next to them Robert rolled down his window and extended the small offer towards them. Their response was genuine. "You are the first people to stop and help us. God bless you, God bless you."

As we pulled away, I found myself still wondering if they would use the money for alcohol or drugs. Robert looked out the window and declared, "I wish I had done more. Next time I'll do more."

Does my skeptical nature keep me from being the hands and feet of Christ? If those people had taken money from us under false pretenses, it was a fact that didn't affect my husband. I whispered a prayer for them as we drove on, and a small prayer for myself as I reflected on the one who may truly have been in need of God's mercy.

1 comment:

patti said...

Know what else I love...." Make the block" I know that is just like the phrase, "going to town"